- Indonesia: 94,081 people were killed on Sumatra and small islands off its coast.
- Sri Lanka: 28,729 killed. About 1 million people were displaced. Authorities said Monday that the country’s death toll was likely to top 35,000 with more than 5,000 people still missing.
- India: The government said 9,067 deaths have been confirmed but nearly 4,000 more were missing in India’s remote Andaman and Nicobar Islands, just north of Sumatra.
- Thailand: 4,993 people died, including 2,230 foreigners.
- Myanmar: 90 people killed.
- Maldives: 80 people dead
- Malaysia: 68 people dead.
- Bangladesh: Two killed.
- Somalia: 200 killed.
- Tanzania: 10 people killed
- Kenya: One killed.
Numbers from Associated Press as of Sunday, 2nd January 2005.